The 6 Benefits Of Exercise During & After Pregnancy
Musculoskeletal pain is common during pregnancy. Pain during pregnancy commonly occurs due to the effects of the hormone elastin on the musculoskeletal system which allows accommodation of a foetus as your child grows. The effects of elastin last up to 1 year following pregnancy so musculoskeletal pain may present following delivery.
Common pregnancy related conditions include, spinal and pelvic pain together with pelvic floor dysfunction. Lots of our patients are unsure what is safe practice for exercise during this exciting time. This is where a qualified accredited exercise physiologist can help with prescribed safe exercise therapy. Given you are not experiencing any complications; there is no reason why you can’t exercise! Many studies have shown that pre and post natal exercise can not only be performed safely, but can also have huge benefits for both mind, body, and baby.
The 6 main benefits of exercise during pregnancy:
1. Decreased risk of gestational diabetes
2. Improved quality of sleep
3. Decrease risk of preeclampsia (hypertension during pregnancy).
4. Speeds up postpartum recovery
5. Can assist in easier labour
6. Improves posture and helps manages pregnancy related back pain
Postnatal rehabilitation is equally important, to regain strength and endurance lost during pregnancy.
The 6 benefits of postnatal exercise include:
1. Reduction of upper back, lower back and pelvic pain
2. Improved energy levels, help fighting fatigue
3. Reduction in urinary incontinence
4. Reduction of depression symptoms
5. Improved lumbo-pelvic strength and stability
6. Improved self-esteem and body image
At WA Health Group, our female exercise physiologist Emma is equipped to prescribe exercise for soon to be and new mums in the community. Each program is tailored to the individual and their experience with pregnancy; as all exercise is monitored and supervised, with changes in the program being tailored to the client’s ongoing changes This may include hydrotherapy, lowering forces against weight bearing joints in water and eliminating the challenge of balance.
Emma is running a pre natal Aqua Class at the Fremantle Leisure Centre, to commence October 14th.
For more information on joining the pre-natal aqua class, or if you are interested in our other options for pre and post natal exercise treatment, click the BOOK NOW button below, or call 6161 4091 to book your appointment today.